A Song About Satisfying Our Soul
Pastor Phill preaches this Sunday (December 11, 2022) on Psalm 63. The 63rd sermon in the Psalm series, pastor Phill explains what David does in the wilderness is determined by his deepest delight. Like David, we should seek God first in our times of testing. Jesus Christ demonstrates this in the Garden of Gethsemane, relying on his steadfast love of his Father in heaven all the way unto his death on the cross. The Scripture readings from our worship service were from Luke 4:1-13, Matthew 1:21, Isaiah 25:1-9, and John 4:13-14.
- What do you think contributes to people believing that church is a waste of time?
- How does the church experience transcendence when they gather together?
- What makes a human worth anything?
- How does what David does in the wilderness determine what is his deepest delight?
- How does our actions reveal what our worth and value is and where it comes from?
- What is the purpose of the wilderness for David? How does God use the wilderness in David’s life?
- What is the first priority in your life? How does your life reflect that?
- How does this psalm connect with Psalm 1? How does this impact our understanding of our passage?
- What does it look like to cling to God and meditate on Him no matter what we are experiencing?
- How does David respond to being persecuted? What does this teach us on how we respond amidst difficulty?
- How does our actions reveal what we desire most?
- If others in our life were to answer the question of who/what we desire most, what would they say?
- Do you talk to God the way David does? What do you think contributes to that?
- What does it look like for our soul to thirst and cling to God?
- How can we considerate it pure joy when we face trials of many kinds?
- How do our circumstances reveal what is taking place in our heart?
- How does the gospel provide the greatest experiences in this life? How have you seen it in your life or others?
- How do we know whether or not we are settling for the glories of this world or not?
- What are the things you reach for the quickest to fill your soul when life is difficult?
- What do you think are the reasons we go to other things outside God and the church?
- How did Jesus reveal that God the Father’s love was most valuable to him? What does it look like to follow God’s example? How do we rely upon God to love God more than anything else?
- How do we press on and continue even amidst going to other glories outside of God? What does it look like?
- How does John 4 assist our understanding of Psalm 63?
- What does it look like to meditate on God day and night?