A Song About Strength
Pastor Phill preaches this Sunday (November 13, 2022) on Psalm 59. The 59th sermon in the Psalm series, pastor Phill’s big idea this week is that when we see God triumph over David’s enemies, we too will sing of God’s strength over our enemies. The structure of this psalm, the stories referred to within the psalm, and the Holy Spirit’s strategy with this psalm all affirm the big idea. Ultimately, Jesus Christ, the sinless person and true David, fulfilled the essence of Psalm 59 through his sacrificial death on the cross, and we can now sing over Jesus’ deliverance of us! The Scripture readings from our worship service were from Matthew 27:24-31, 1 Samuel 19:11-17, and Romans 8:38-39.
- How have you seen in God’s word Him triumphing over the enemies of this world and then result in praise of God’s people over God’s strength?
- What elements of David’s story in 1 Samuel are helpful in understanding of God’s triumph over enemies and resulting in praise of God’s strength?
- What can we learn from David on ways to pray about enemies of God in the nations?
- What is the importance in our lives as God’s followers to know that God is stronger and triumphs over evil and enemies of God?
- How does this psalm point to the salvation of God’s people throughout the word and His people?
- How does knowing this psalm provide direction to understanding more of who Jesus is?
- How does this psalm impact us in how we engage with God and who He is? And engage with Jesus and who he is? How does this passage help us when engaging with the Spirit?
- How does this passage impact our daily lives in how we engage with others (brothers and sisters) or unbelievers?
- How does this passage impact our daily lives in how we live in our daily lives? Are there any areas in your life that you are worshiping or focusing on praising more often or more intensely than your relationship with God?
- How does salvation and singing God’s praises impact your focus and changing your focus from your heart looking idols or other gifts of this world to meet your desires to have transcendence?
- How does praising God regularly impact your relationship with God and impact your relationship with others?
- God’s glory is displayed through our lives in what ways? In what ways can we live our lives that affect us seeing God’s glory displayed through us?