The Gospel and Paragons
Expositing Philippians 2:19-30, Pastor Phill’s big idea this week is that the life-changing power of the gospel has been preserved in texts and is perceived in people. The passage shows us how Paul has confidence in God’s work in the Philippians, how Paul has confidence in God’s work in Timothy and Epaphroditus, and therefore how pastor Phill has confidence in God’s work in Embassy Church today. We hold our ultimate hope and confidence in the person and works of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! The scripture readings from our worship service were from 1 Corinthians 4:14-21 and 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13.
1. What is the purpose of this letter for Paul and the church?
2. What would it look like to have confidence and hope in the body of Christ in our interactions together like Paul as with the Philippians?
3. How is seeking the interest of others also seeking the interest of Christ?
4. When you have seen someone who is refined in their faith through trials, what characteristics did you see in them? How do they respond with trials?
5. What would it look like to live our lives where we consider others interests more than our own?
6. What do we need to do to become more humble and more Christlike?
7. What kind of people do you honor or esteem?
8. How does your life reflect who you honor with your time, with your thoughts, or with your finances?
9. Do you know anyone in your life that cares for you and asks many questions about you? How do they help point you to Christ?